Lead Electrical Engineer
You’ll be responsible for designing, prototyping, and testing microprocessor based control circuits, LED driver circuits, and LED light circuits.
The Career Opportunity:
aspectLED is a fast-growing business within a high-growth industry (the LED Lighting industry is expected to grow from $4.8 billion in 2012 to $93 billion by 2020). As a key member of our new product development team, you’ll be ideally positioned for personal growth within the business.
We are looking for a candidate who’s capable of independently designing and bringing products to life. The ideal candidate should have experience with analog and digital circuit design, sofware development and PCB layout. Experience with light emitting diodes, low voltage control circuits and TCP-IP/web/network-enabled microcontrollers is a must. Its also important to have experience designing products for manufacturability (optimizing final product cost) and selecting components based on performance, cost and lead time.
Our Hiring Manager says:
“I’m looking for someone who’s a true wizard in the design and programming of microcontroller circuits to work alongside myself and our mechanical engineer to improve our existing products and bring new products to market. We’re a tight-knit team and this person will play a critically important role in the growth of our business. They’ll be responsible for the complete lifecycle of new product development, from collaborating on product ideas, to design, prototyping, costing, design for manufacturability, testing, and production.”
- Designs analog and digital (with an emphasis on analog) circuits for lighting and control products
- Design new LED lighting, driver and control system products, bringing these products from idea to production with a strong focus on designing products for manufacturability (DFM)
- Design custom LED drivers, LED circuit layouts and other various LED driving and control circuitry for low voltage (DC/DC power supply & Constant Current regulator designs, 12VDC, 24VDC, 12VAC) and line voltage (120V, 240V, 277V, 347V) applications with a sharp focus on efficiency
- Write C/C++
- Build prototypes
- Perform design analysis, simulations and testing
- Design and build wireless communication/networking capabilities into LED drivers and controls to allow wireless control of LED fixtures
- Create and maintain a complete set of product documentation (drawings, specifications, BOMs, instruction sheets, etc.)
- Conduct performance testing (light output, thermal performance, dimming performance, power factor, etc.)
- Specify components (PCBs, microcontrollers, LEDs, other components) with sensitivity to cost, availability and lead time; including off-boards such as transformers, batteries and connectors
- Work closely with our mechanical engineer to collaborate on the design of enclosures and housings
- Strong C and C++ programming experience
- Experience in linear, AC to DC and DC to DC circuit design
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience or coursework
- Extensive Microcontroller design and programming experience
- Experience designing microprocessor based circuits with a web-based user interface
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute test plans to verify production equipment and samples prior to release
- Experience with Eagle, OrCAD, Altium or other PCB/circuit design/layout software
- Working knowledge of networking and communications protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, SPI, I2C, serial (RS232/RS485), USB, CAN, J1939).
- Some knowledge of wireless mesh type network protocols, such as Z-wave or Zigbee.
- Thorough knowledge of CMOS, TTL, OP amps, A/D converters, microprocessors, memory devices, mosfets, relays, active and passive components, analog and digital circuitry
- Experience in designing systems that include embedded microcontrollers and power converters
- Practical knowledge of electronic test equipment and data acquisition methods
- Understanding of various LED driving topologies (flyback, buck, boost, etc.)
- Bonus points: Understanding of light dimming methodologies (0-10v, TRIAC, forward-phase, reverse-phase, PWM, etc.)
- Bonus points: Knowledge of lighting industry testing and regulatory processes. UL 1310, 1598, 8750, 924, FCC, etc.
- Bonus points: Experience with Objective C, Java
- Bonus points: Knowledge/understanding of PCB production/assembly processes is a plus
Highly competitive compensation, plus bonus opportunities
We'd love to hear from you! Please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com